What is the Building Leadership Team?
Lawton Elementary’ s Building Leadership Team (BLT) is a site-based leadership team comprised of Lawton staff, the Lawton principal, and Lawton parents. The BLT meets bi-monthly and is focused on improving Lawton’s school policies, instruction, learning environment, and operations.
How Does the BLT Help Parents and Students?
The primary function of the BLT is to facilitate collaborative decision making at the school level. As such, the BLT ensures that the perspectives of all Lawton stakeholders are considered as school priorities are established. The BLT strives to engage the Lawton community in the decision making process by posting meeting minutes and agandas, and maintaining open lines of communication.
Specific Responsibilities of the BLT
- Work with the school staff to create and monitor Lawton’s Continuous School Improvement Plan (CSIP)
- Help to set professional development priorities for Lawton Staff; oversee a school-wide professional development plan to support the Academic Achievement Plan
- Work with the school staff to establish the school’s discretionary budget
- Ensure that Lawton’s decision-making matrix is up to date and reflects Lawton’s approach to collaborative decision making.
2012-2013 BLT Meeting Schedule, Agendas & Minutes
Meetings are open to all in the Lawton community, so feel free to attend. Please contact your BLT representative with any questions or concerns that you would like to have addressed at BLT meetings.
- Tuesday, September 11, 2012 – 7:45am Agenda Minutes
- Tuesday, September 25, 2012 – 7:45am Agenda Minutes
- Tuesday, October 9, 2012 – 7:45am Agenda Minutes
- Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 7:45am Agenda Minutes
- Tuesday, November 6, 2012 – 7:45am Agenda Minutes
- Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 7:45am Agenda Minutes
- Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 7:45am Agenda
- Tuesday, January 8, 2013 – 7:45am Minutes
- Tuesday, January 22, 2013 – 7:45am Agenda Minutes
- Tuesday, February 12, 2013 – 7:45am Minutes
- Tuesday, February 19, 2013 – 7:45am Minutes
- Tuesday, March 5, 2013 – 7:45am Minutes
- Tuesday, March 19, 2013 – 7:45am Agenda Minutes
- Tuesday, April 9, 2013 – 7:45am
- Tuesday, April 23, 2013 – 7:45am
- Tuesday, May 14, 2013 – 7:45am
- Tuesday, May 28, 2013 – 7:45am
- Tuesday, June 11, 2013 – 7:45am
Tom Bolger – Parent Representative
This year, Tom’s son Nicholas will be a fourth grader in Ms. Ulmer’s class and his daughter Megan will be a second grader in Mr. Reddy’s class. Over the past four years, Tom has enjoyed the opportunity to volunteer in classes at Lawton as well as participate in numerous other Lawton functions at the school. Professionally, Tom is a partner in a consulting firm and he has the opportunity to work with boards and management teams across the country. Tom moved to Seattle from Chicago in 1999 to be closer to the mountains and, along with his family, spends as much time as possible outdoors. When he isn’t in the mountains, he generally spends his Fall Saturdays agonizing over his alma mater’s (University of Notre Dame) heroic ability to lose games they should easily win.
Elaine Cooper – Specialist Teacher Representative
Elaine began teaching as a music specialist in 1989 at a private K-8 school in West Seattle. In 1995, one of her school choirs was selected to perform a touring Broadway musical, “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,” at the Paramount Theatre. She traveled to Kobe, Japan, as the director of a small group chosen to sing with the Kobe Children’s Choir. She received her school certification in 2005 and graduated from Seattle Pacific University with a BA in Music with an emphasis in Music Education.
Neil Gerrans – Principal
Dr. Neil Gerrans has a passion for education and wants to instill a love of learning in all students. He has taught grades 1 – 4 in public schools, instructed English language Learners from primary aged students to adults in Korea, and worked in outdoor education as a program director at a summer camp for youth. Dr. Gerrans works to create an engaging learning environment for students where they thrive and are stretched towards their potential. Before going back to school to become a certified teacher, Dr. Gerrans worked at McKinsey as a strategy consultant and was a research assistant earning his Ph.D. at Carnegie Mellon in computational electromagnetics. When he is not at school Neil enjoys working in his garden, reading books, and traveling. He recently traveled with his wife Yvette for a year, living and learning in Syria, Laos, Bolivia and France.
Annette Godon – Staff Representative
This is Annette Godon’s second year at Lawton Elementary. Ms. Godon has been with the district for six years. She has worked in the district office as well as almost every school within the district as a clerical substitute. With two high-schoolers at Ballard High – “Go Beavers” – the Godon family has been actively volunteering in elementary, middle, and high schools for the last ten years. Ms. Godon has a degree in Marketing and has worked within the industry before her kids were born. She is currently very happy with her second career of supporting students, family and staff within the educational environment. You might see Ms. Godon walking her dog through the neighborhood or cheering on her kids at sporting events.
Peter Hubbard – 4th & 5th Grade Teacher Representative
Peter has been teaching at Lawton since 1995 and in Seattle since 1986. Over the years, he developed the Tetragami paper folding system to promote spatial learning. Peter started and coordinates the Seattle Green Schools Network, which is dedicated to fostering learning through green action projects and to helping to create a greener 21st Century. He has an adopted daughter from China.
Steven Reddy – 2nd & 3rd Grade Teacher Representative
Mr. Reddy is a 2nd grade teacher at Lawton. He is returning to Lawton in 2012-2013 after a year of travel.
Jenifer Rudisill – K & 1st Teacher Representative and Chair
Jeni has been teaching at Lawton since 2009. Previously, she taught 2nd and 3rd grade in the Mead School District in Spokane and taught Kindergarten in SPS at Wedgwood. She graduated from Gonzaga University with her teaching credentials and a B.A. in Psychology. Her interests include being a crazy cat lady to her two kitties Beans & Chili, singing karaoke, roller-skating, playing guitar and spending time with family & friends.
Scott Schliebner – Parent Representative
Scott is a parent representative and will be serving on the BLT for the 2011-13 school years. Scott lives in Magnolia’s Lawtonwood neighborhood with his wife Angela, daughter Sofia (current Lawton 3rd grader), pre-schooler son Max, and golden retriever, Leo. Scott originally hails from the east coast, with interim stops in Colorado and Utah before settling in Seattle. He has a Master’s in Public Health, with a background in biostatistics, cancer epidemiology, and clinical research. Scott directs strategic drug development activities for a contract research organization, and is involved in several local non-profit organizations. When not working, Scott is an avid cyclist, enjoys running in Discovery Park, taking his dog swimming, and beachcombing with his kids. He loves Seattle, Magnolia, and is committed to making Lawton a great place for learners.
Sarah Terry – PTA Representative
Sarah has a 4th grader and a 2nd grader at Lawton. She has volunteered at Lawton for the last four years, spending time in the library, in classrooms, and on the PTA Board. Sarah is a Seattle native and SPS graduate who has also lived in Oregon, New England, and New York City. She has worked as a public and academic librarian and holds a Master of Library and Information Science and a Master of Public Administration from the University of Washington. She is interested in educational issues across the lifespan, and is excited to serve on the BLT in 2012-2013.
2011-2012 BLT Meeting Schedule, Agendas & Minutes
- Monday, September 12, 2011 – 3:30 p.m., Agenda; Minutes
- Monday, October 3, 2011 – 3:30 p.m. Minutes
- Monday, November 7, 2011 – 3:30 p.m. Minutes
- Monday, December 5, 2011 – 3:30 p.m. Minutes
- Monday, January 2, 2012 – 3:30 p.m. Minutes
- Monday, February 6, 2012 – 3:30 p.m. Minutes
- Monday, March 5, 2012 – 3:30 p.m.
- Monday, April 2 , 2012 – 3:30 p.m. Minutes
- Monday, May 7, 2012 – 3:30 p.m. Minutes
- Monday, June 4, 2012 – 3:30 p.m. Minutes
2010-2011 BLT Meeting Schedule, Agendas & Minutes
- Monday, September 14, 2010 – 3:30 p.m., Minutes
- Monday, October 4, 2010 – 3:30 p.m. Agenda, Minutes
- Monday, November 1, 2010 – 3:30 p.m. Agenda, Minutes
- Monday, December 6, 2010 – 3:30 p.m. Agenda, Minutes
- Monday, January 3, 2011 – 3:30 p.m. Agenda, Minutes
- Monday, February 7, 2011 – 3:30 p.m. Minutes
- Monday, March 7, 2011 – 3:30 p.m. Agenda, Minutes
- Monday, April 4 , 2011 – 3:30 p.m. Minutes
- Monday, May 2, 2011 – 3:30 p.m. Minutes
- Monday, June 6, 2011 – 3:30 p.m. Minutes