Hello, my name is Constance Hutchinson, the School Counselor here at Lawton. I am happy to be here and be a part of this wonderful school.
I am happy to announce that Ballard Food Bank’s “BACKPACK PROGRAM” is back and is open to all our students. We work together to provide weekend meals for students in need throughout the school year providing 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners & snacks.
- Please know that food is distributed discreetly to students on Thursdays for the weekend.
- Menus rotate to provide different meal options, including vegetarian and other dietary requests.
For any questions and/or to sign up, please complete the form here and return it to me, Constance Hutchinson or the school office. My email is email@example.com and direct line is 206-252-2140. You can find me at Lawton on Mondays/Thursdays and alternate Wednesdays. My office is on the far right in the library.
For further information about food offered or additional support offered by the food bank, please contact:
Ballard Food Bank: Erin MacDonald, Development Associate firstname.lastname@example.org / 206-789-7800
If you have an incoming Kindergartener to Lawton, you may consider signing up for Jump Start. This is a great way for the staff to get to know your children in order to help with proper class placement and it will help your child get familiar with the school and routines before the first day of kindergarten. You can click here for more information.
Currently our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade teachers are preparing our students for the upcoming SBAC state test. Grades 3 – 5 are getting the chance to take the practice test in the labs and on lap tops so they can familiarize themselves with the testing tools and format.
If you have any questions about the SBAC, you can find information on http://smarterbalanced.www.seattleschools.org
Get your RSVP’s in today. Return the card that you received with your invitation and/or visit the website at https://lawtonelementarypta.schoolauction.net/soiree/ to purchase your tickets.
- One class from K-2 and one class from 3-5 with the most RSVP’s (either yes or no) will earn a pizza party for their class.
- Leader board is posted in the front entryway of the school.
- Check it out to see how your class is doing.
- The classes with the most RSVP’s will be announced on May 1st.
Mark your calendar!
May 8th, 2015
7 pm – 11 pm
See you there!
The Lawton PTA is happy to be offering the Summer Enrichment program for two weeks this summer. The program is designed to help children continue staying active during the time off from school. We are pleased to be offering a variety of well-rounded enrichment opportunities.
If you are interested in enrolling your child/children in the Summer Enrichment program, return the registration form to the school office as soon as possible.
Click here for classes offered and registration form.
The Lawton Spring Soiree is Friday, May 8th at the Fremont Foundry! This is an important fundraiser as we are fundraising for the balance of this year’s PTA budget that was not reached with the Fall Direct Drive. By meeting our goal this will allow us to fulfill financial obligations for the remainder of this school year, including but not limited to the following:
- Academic Support in the form of Mrs. Dowd’s part time teaching position
- Tutoring and playground supervision provided 5 days a week March through June
- Spring artists in residence, such as Water Color with Mrs. McKinney happening right now for K-2nd grade students
- Science Week
- Teacher classroom stipends/discretionary funds
- Field Day
Not only is this an important night for fundraising but it’s also a great way to meet and socialize with fellow Lawton parents and community members!
We are asking you to be a part of this great event and take some action in continuing your support. Here are the ways you can participate:
- Attend the Spring Soiree – Formal Invitations are being sent home via kid mail (youngest child if you have more than one student at Lawton).
- Sponsor a staff member to attend
- Make a donation
To purchase tickets or donate click on the following link www.lawtonelementarypta.schoolauction.net/soiree
BE A PART OF THE ACTION and we hope to see you there!
The PTA nominating committee is currently seeking volunteers interested in participating on the PTA 2015-2016 Board. A review of bylaws was completed this year and an error was made. The process is as follows:
1. A recommended vote for a nominating committee at the October or January PTA general membership meeting.
2. The nominating committee than seeks volunteers interested in open positions and reviews interested parties to make recommendations to the general membership.
3. And finally, recommend a slate to be put forward at the April PTA General Membership meeting.
However, since a vote was not taken for a nominating committee as recommended, the nominating committee will seek volunteers and make recommendations to the board for a slate. If there are more than one interested parties in one position after initial recommendations from the nominating committee, all names will be listed on the slate for a vote at the general membership meeting in April. In the future the recommended process will be followed and we apologize that we did not make ourselves aware of the intended process in time. Please review the job descriptions below and if you are interested and open to consideration for any of the positions please submit a letter of interest, including background information about yourself and why you are interested, to the chair of the nominating committee at email@example.com by Friday, March 27th.
PTA Board Job Descriptions
Please complete this short brief survey that will take only 10-15 minutes to complete. We are working collaboratively with the school on developing a PTA priorities list and a budget proposal for the 2015-2016 school year. We want to hear from all of you. Please complete the survey by Friday, March 27th.
Though it seems like we would not be thinking about the school year book yet, we actually are. Not only does this process take the whole school year, it also takes a village and this is where we need your help. If you have volunteered in the classroom, gone on a field trip, or even attended a classroom celebration this, we would appreciate it if you could share those photos so we have many choices for the yearbook. Phone photos are not preferred as the quality does not transfer well into the yearbook software but if that is all you have, we will take it just in case.
You can send all photos that you think would be great for the yearbook to firstname.lastname@example.org